The numbers are starting to come in for Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday. And, overall, they say some really good things about e-commerce, mobile commerce, and digital overall. Here is a round-up of 5 Must-See Black Friday and Cyber Monday trends — and some solid analysis, too — from around the web this past week. Enjoy:
- Marketing Charts offers up its Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday e-commerce results, which were pretty great overall. Even better were the Cyber Monday results that showed Cyber Monday was the heaviest e-commerce day yet.
- According to TechCrunch and IBM, Thanksgiving online sales up 14% with one-third of sales on mobile and led by iOS. The whole “Android vs. iOS debate” lingers in e-commerce circles. I say ignore that debate. What really matters is what your data and your customers tell you.
- Speaking of mobile commerce, the latest episode of my e-commerce and digital marketing podcast, Thinks Out Loud, explains why it might be time to say it’s all m-commerce. Definitely worth a listen when you get a moment.
- In a bit of a surprise, Quartz tells us that, mo, Amazon is not opening a physical store in New York for the holiday shopping season. I’ll admit that I paid lots of attention to that story when it first broke. Not sure if the earlier reports were wrong of if Amazon changed its mind. I’ll keep you posted if I hear more.
- Finally, Search Engine Land reports that paid search revenue gains outpaced retailer ad spend on Black Friday, Cyber Monday. Given the rising costs of paid search acquisition, that’s truly welcome news for a change.
If you’re interested in more, check out these 9 Outstanding Marketing Posts to Warm Up Your Weekend: E-commerce Link Digest from our regular E-commerce Link Digest series, and these 10 Exceptional Marketing and E-commerce Essays: The Top Posts from November, too.
You might also want to check out some of our past coverage of the e-commerce, mobile commerce, and digital marketing overall, including:
- 10 Key Posts about Millennials and Mobile: E-commerce Link Digest
- The Secrets Behind “It’s All E-commerce” for 2014
- The Zen of Digital Marketing Strategy
- 7 Steps to E-Commerce Heaven
- Today and Tomorrow: Mobile and The Changing Customer Journey
- Mobile Makes E-commerce Even More “Frictionless”
- Your 2014 Internet Marketing New Year’s Resolutions – Thinks Out Loud Episode 56
Plus, don’t miss these slides and video from my recent webinar, “Digital Marketing Directions: Three Key Trends Driving Your Marketing Next Year”:
(And, yes… you can hire me to speak at your next event, too).
Finally, if you want to learn even more about how customers changing behavior shapes e-commerce and marketing, be sure an register to receive a special report I’ve produced in conjunction with hotel marketing firm Vizergy, “Digital Hotel Marketing in a Multiscreen World.” While it’s targeted specifically at hotel and resort marketers, the lessons apply to just about any business. You can get your free copy of the report here.