I gave a talk about “The Transparent Web: Using Online Marketing to Optimize Pricing Power” earlier this week to the National Golf Course Owner’s Association. Really great folks and I learned a lot while I was there, too. While the presentation was tailored to golf resorts and courses, the same facts holds true for most businesses.
What are those facts?
- Your customers have lots of choices when shopping for products and services.
- Social and search make prices and value propositions completely transparent, whether you want them to be or not. Don’t fight it. Use it to your advantage.
- 3rd-party “partners” (some actually are good partners, some aren’t) want to be the go-to resource for your customers. Understand how you each provide value and work to complement, not compete, with one another.
- You must maintain price parity for the same products across all sales channels — unless the reason makes sense to the customer (e.g., pre-purchase discounts, non-refundable pricing, etc.).
- Your pricing must represent a clear value to your customer.
- Best price guarantees aren’t the same thing as discounting — and that’s a Good Thing.
- Your value proposition helps customers understand why to buy from you.
- Your marketing exists to reveal your value proposition.
I’ve included the slides below. And I’m available to speak about Internet marketing and e-commerce at your next event, too. Enjoy!
Are you getting enough value out of your small business website? Want to make sure your business makes the most of the local, mobile, social web? thinks helps you understand how to grow your business via the web, every day. Get more than just news. Get understanding. Add thinks to your feed reader today.
And while you’re at it, don’t forget to follow Tim on Twitter.
Technorati Tags: brand building, content, content marketing, content strategy, E-commerce, e-commerce, E-commerce strategy, e-marketing, ecommerce, email marketing, Facebook, facebook, Google, google, google adwords, Google Place Page, Google Plus, Google+, Google+ Pages, integrated marketing, internet business, internet marketing, marketing, marketing best practices, online brand building, online marketing, ppc, ppc marketing, search, search engine marketing, search engine optimization, sem, seo, social, social commerce, social marketing, social media, social search, social strategy, strategy, training